Sophie's Playhouse

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Save the Animals Fundraiser - Plan 3

Since the idea started as a Fundraiser/Bake Sale, I figured I'd better stick something to the original plan.  The kids absolute decision to sponsor a Baby Emperor Penguin decided me to throw a completely Antarctic Party for the Fundraiser (previously, I'd thought I'd cover all the animal areas we'd learned about this month: Antarctic, Ocean, Australian).  So we switched it up and simplified our "Bake Sale" to this:

Penguin Cookies:  I measured out all the ingredients at my house (I'm still getting used to the whole Pre-K and wasn't ready to bring in my own goods for them to practice real measuring skills) and let them practice using measuring cups to measure out the pre-measured goods (if that makes sense).  We used the Yogurt Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe so I didn't have to worry about it if they licked those little fingers! I just got a new portable Cookie Maker for Hanukkah and brought it into class.  Unfortunately, it needed to go through a few runs before it stopped smelling like burning plastic, so I ended up taking home most of the cookies to bake there.



Antarctic Hot Chocolate: We were going to make fancy Hot Cocoa mix...but I'm pretty poor and it was such a deal just to buy the huge bin of pre-made mix.  So we went with that.  But they got to practice real measuring - 2 TBS scoops, 6 marshmallows, and 1 big penguin chocolate chip (I made at home with a mold).  Seriously, this kept a huge group of them entertained for at least a half hour.




At the Fundraiser/Penguin Party, everyone got to take home 1 cookie and 1 bag of Hot Cocoa (donations accepted).


Some parents completely forgot to bring money.  Some parents were upset because they brought a lot of money and expected more.  However, it was really hard for the kids not to eat the cookies they made or take home the cocoa and they did a great job of waiting until the party and then only taking after they'd asked their parents. If I did it again, I'd still only do 2...maybe 3..."bake sale" activities (mainly just because I love doing food with kids!).

No comments:

Post a Comment