Sophie's Playhouse

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Paper Mache Planets

Let's preface this by saying this is my first attempt at Paper Mache since my own school days.  Since I'd forgotten exactly what was involved, I found lots of great directions from different preschool bloggers.  All of them saying how much fun this project is.  It's not that fun.

The hardest part of paper mache is getting the kids to touch the mache mix.  Even after they helped us mix the 1 Part Flour to 1 Part Water.  Sure, now you guys turn into a bunch of compulsive hand washers!
Then there's the patience piece.  Each balloon needs at least 2 layers (up to 4).  This turned into a teacher project where the kids handed us pieces ("no! I don't wanna get my hands dirty!") and we got touched the mix and covered the balloons.  And it was a lot of work!
 Painting them was the fun part! 
 I guess these could be Jupiter...
Mars and Earth were the two top choices. 
A beautiful finished project! I'm not sure how to hang paper mache from strings yet, so I left the balloons blown up and tied the string to that!  It's a great effect - just warn parents before they walk in and bop their heads!

No comments:

Post a Comment